“QuickBooks error the file exists” error code is the talk of the town as it not only restricts from opening the existing company files but also in opening a new one, especially if the user requires to work in both the company files simultaneously. Users have witnessed the error mostly in case if the company files are being accessed over a network, and the user has been connected to a wireless network connection instead of the QuickBooks recommended wired network connection. But that’s not always the reason, and you will explore many of them as well as learn how to overcome the error in the further topics of the blog.
On the other hand, the “QuickBooks error the file exists” error code is generally reported by the users and it could be fixed by adopting certain methodologies which are mentioned in the below post. However, if you require external assistance, feel free to call the toll-free number 855-856-0042 for better tech help.
You may also Read : QuickBooks error 1603
Various causes that contribute to popping error “QuickBooks error the file exists” into action
- The network connection that the user has installed to connect with QuickBooks company files is wireless and not the wired internet connection.
- User has insufficient permissions to access or modify certain company files.
- Faulty or misconfigured firewall, as well as security software settings, is preventing access with certain communication ports when using QuickBooks.
Viable measures to obviate error “QuickBooks error the file exists”
Solution-1: Check and perform appropriate configuration of Firewall
Verify and reassure that all the QuickBooks programs and services have been excluded and allowed to run without interruption using the steps provided below-
- Close the ‘QuickBooks’ application.
- Press the ‘Windows key’ or click on ‘Start menu’.
- Type ‘Windows Firewall’, and hit the ‘Enter key’.
- A search will begin for Windows Firewall shortly turning out the results.
- Right-click on ‘Windows Firewall’ and select ‘Open’ to run the application.
- Choose the option ‘Advanced Settings’ within the Firewall window.
- Now navigate to the ‘Inbound-Rules’.
- Right-click on it and choose ‘New Rule’.
- Choose ‘Port’.
- Click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- You need to check that the option ‘TCP’ is already activated.
- Make sure to add certain ports in ‘Specific Local Ports’ which are mentioned below-
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- Shortly after making necessary port entries, click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- Choose ‘Allow the Connection’ to provide permission to QuickBooks to access the respective ports whenever applicable.
- Activate all the given profiles.
- Proceed by selecting ‘Next’.
- Make a new rule using the desired name.
- Click ‘Finish’ when done with the operation to save changes.
If the above solutions don’t work, launch repair for QuickBooks installation to resolve the error.
We are about to conclude the blog on the topic “QuickBooks error the file exists”. We hope that all the content provided in the post regarding the aforementioned error will be helpful for all the users in determining the underlying causes and troubleshooting the error code to proceed with their assigned tasks in QuickBooks. However, if you have a relevant query, dial the helpline number 855-856-0042 for technical resolution.