How do we convert our Quickbooks files from Windows to Mac and from Mac to Windows? This is a frequently asked question. And there are many misconceptions about it too but it is not difficult. Anyone can transfer the file very easily. Inuit is available everywhere whether it is windows or mac but the problem arises when we have to transfer files. The file used in Mac is .dmg or .qbxxx but in Windows it is different. Follow some steps given below and solve the problem.
Windows to Mac:-
How to Convert QuickBooks files
Preparing the Company File in QuickBooks for Mac
- Ensure that the updates for the latest release for QuickBooks for Mac are available on your system.
- If you have added transactions with memos, ensure that the latter do not have more than 50 characters or special characters.
- Ensure that the transactions are closed before moving on to the next record.
- If you notice that some data is out of place in any list, re-sort them to set them to default.
- Verify the records and rebuild the company file before initiating the conversion.
Converting Company File for QuickBooks for Desktop
After you have ensured that the company file is formatted by verifying the data, you can proceed with the export.
- Ensure that you are opening the company file with admin rights.
- Click on File>Export and select the option To QuickBooks for Windows.
- Click on Verify if you are prompted before taking the backup.
- Save the backup file in an appropriate folder.
Importing QuickBooks File in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
While smaller files can be emailed to users with a Windows machine, larger ones have to be imported into QuickBooks Desktop for Windows using a physical device such as a USB flash drive or using cloud storage. Eventually, it can be restored on the Windows version of QuickBooks.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop on the Windows system.
- Navigate to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Import the company file saved in qbw format from the storage device/ drive you saved on the Mac machine.
- Open the company file and type in your credentials to start working.
Mac to Windows:-
- On the windows system
- First steps are required to update QuickBooks desktop for windows to the latest release.
- And then open the file as the admin.
- Now move to the File menu and then pick the utility option. Also, you need to select the copy company file for QuickBooks Mac, and then carry out on-screen instructions. QuickBooks will create a MAC.qbb file.
- After that, you will see a message stating “It looks like QuickBooks for windows might be a better fit for the company”. You need to ensure that data isn’t converted from windows. To continue, hit a click on Yes.
- Next step is to visit the folder to save the file and then name the file and also select save. Please ensure to use special characters in the file name.
- And also, move the file to the Mac by using any storage device such as a USB flash drive.
- Restoring the Mac.qbb backup on the Mac
A Mac.qbb file is basically the copy of QuickBooks desktop company file that you can restore in QuickBooks for Mac. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- It is supposed to update the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release.
- After that, copy the backup to the documents folder on the Mac.
- Also reopen the QuickBooks desktop for Mac and then choose the file and also open the company option.
- Next, select the Mac.qbb file and select open.
- Moving ahead, select OK when asked, in case you are looking forward to restoring a QuickBooks for Windows file.
- The final step is to enter a name for the restored file and select save.